Friday, November 26, 2010

No Fanfare Just Good-Bye

Wednesday was my last day at work.  After 3 1/2 years at the same company I gave my notice and quietly slipped away into the sunset.  No fanfare - just goodbye!  It's amazing how you spend many hours in the workplace and have hardly touched lives!  It was just "work" after all.  I did by best, gave my all, with nothing much to show for it except an excellent reference and a hearty, "thanks for all your work," and "you've got a job anytime you want!"   What was the overall impression that I have made or left there?  That I was a good worker?  That I cared for the people?  Certainly that, but not much more.  They weren't interested in me as a person and they hardly asked any questions about my life or love for the Lord, though they certainly knew about that.  This bears reflection.  I think that in the end, its not about what a great job you do, but what kind of an impact have you made on others lives.  The statement, "you reap what you sow," comes to mind.  How much did I pray for my colleagues?  How much did I really bring them before the Throne?  What was my goal in working?  Was it just to make money?  Did I have an effect on the people around me.  Yes, I think I did have an effect, but not nearly enough and not for eternity.  That is sad and bears reflecting upon.

We must remember that as Christians we give account for our lives.  What will the Lord ask me about my 3 1/2 years at Barnhart, Inc?  Everything we do must be for the Kingdom of God, not our own little kingdom.  What is our purpose on this earth?  God help me and all of us to be consistent in serving Him throughout all of our days here.  In the end we will want to hear that good word from the Lord, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." 

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the Lord doesn't let us know what kind of impact we have had. I am sure that He used you there and that you served Him well in all that you did.

    ReplyDelete